- Simpson College (BA Elementary Education/Reading, Early Childhood, Special Education)
- Viterbo University (Master’s in Educational Leadership)
- I have been with DMPS since 2009. I taught 2nd grade and kindergarten at Park Avenue Elementary before coming to Howe.
- My husband and I have two children, Adaline and Bryson. As a family, we enjoy being outside, cheering on the Cyclones and spending time with family and friends.
Iowa State University — Early Childhood Education with endorsements in reading and special education
This will be my first year in DMPS! I previously taught in Omaha Public School District for one year.
I enjoy spending time with family and friends. When I am not with them I enjoy traveling, being outside, reading, cross stitching, crafting, playing candy crush, and watching and playing sports.
- Iowa State University (BS in Elementary Education/Science)
- Iowa State University (Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership)
- I have been teaching with DMPS since 1997.
- My husband and I have three kids. We have two girls and a boy. We currently have no pets, but my youngest daughter is working hard to change that! I love to travel, enjoy the great outdoors, go for walks and spend time with my family and friends.
- Graceland University (BA in studio art and elementary education)
- I have been teaching for 4 years, but this is my second year at Howe!
When I’m not at school I love to spend time with my family. I have a husband and two dogs. We enjoy getting together with our families for anything and everything, whether it’s someone’s birthday, holiday or just a good day to have a family dinner.
- Iowa State University
- I been with DMPS for 26 years.
- I am married with 2 children. When I am not at school, I enjoy traveling with family and friends.
- Wartburg College (BA Elementary Education/Early Childhood)
- I have been teaching with DMPS since 2012.
- I love spending time with my family and friends. I got married in June 2014. My husband and I enjoy watching movies, taking our German Shepard for walks and runs, and watching the Philadelphia Eagles play. I enjoy participating in organized races, such as, the Hy-Vee Triathlon, Market to Market, and the Des Moines Half Marathon. I would love to work up to a whole marathon.
- Bachelor of Science in Social Work (Pittsburg University, Pittsburg, KS)
- Master of Social Work (University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS)
- 2005-present School Social Worker
- My husband, Josh and I have 2 children, Addison (8yo) and Adam (6yo). I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. I love Kansas Jayhawk Basketball! I like to run, spin and participate in group exercise classes.
- Wartburg College (BA in Elementary Education with Reading and Coaching Endorsements
- Drake University (MA in Educational Leadership)
- I started teaching in 2007. After teaching first grade for ten years, I started working as an Instructional Coach here at Howe.
- I enjoy being outside hiking, golfing, running or playing with my daughter. I love doing crafts and restoration projects for others. I enjoy doing group running events and figuring out new ways to solve problems.
I attended the University of Iowa and have my BA in Elementary Education with endorsements in Reading and Language Arts. I taught first and third grades for seven years before staying home with my children for six years. I have two years of preschool teaching as well. This is my first year at Howe, and I’m thrilled to be here!
I have a husband, two children and two dogs. I enjoy taking care of my family and we enjoy traveling together when time allows. I love to watch my children in all of their sports activities. I also love to be on the beach with a book in my hands.
- Upper Iowa University (BA Elementary Education)
- Upper Iowa University (Reading Endorsement)
- West Des Moines Dowling Catholic High School
- Holy Trinity Catholic Elementary/Middle School
- I have taught 5th grade at Howe Elementary since the fall of 2007.
- I was a substitute teacher at Holy Trinity Catholic Elementary School during the spring of 2007
- I am married to my husband, Joel, and have 4 children, Ashton, William, Mila, and Gwendolyn
- I enjoy spending time outside gardening and playing basketball and baseball with my family.
- I coach middle school boys basketball.
- I am a huge Iowa Hawkeye and Chicago Cubs fan!
Iowa State University (Bachelor’s degrees in Marketing and Psychology)· Drake University (Master of Science in Teaching with endorsements in Reading and English as a Second Language)
I was an AmeriCorps member at Hillis Elementary School, and I conducted portions of my student teaching at Oak Park Elementary School and Harding Middle School. I am very excited to begin my third year of teaching at Howe Elementary!
I love to run, dance, and read! I also enjoy spending time with my husband, Austin, and our dog, Kele.
- Simpson College (BA)
- I started substitute teaching in 1997. I have been a 5th grade teacher here at Howe since fall of 1998.
- Enjoys spending time with family and friends
- Likes to read
- Loves Hawkeye football and basketball
· BBA in Accounting and Finance from the University of Iowa
About me: I love trivia and information in general. I would like to pursue a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science. I grew up on a farm in Manson, Iowa, just west of Fort Dodge. My father was involved in trade missions for farming, so we had regular visits from international farming and trades people while I was growing up. I have always had with a curiosity about the world around me and all people and cultures.
o Favorite books – The Lord of the Rings trilogy & The Hobbit, True Grit, “cozy” mysteries by Agatha Christie or Ellis Peters (Brother Cadfael series)
o Favorite children’s books –
Picture books: Ferdinand by Munro Leaf, There’s No Such Thing as a Dragon by Jack Kent, The King’s Stilts by Dr. Seuss
Chapter books: The 39 Clues series by various authors – favorites by Jude Watson and Gordon Korman, Percy Jackson series and Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan, Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, Arabel and Mortimer series by Joan Aiken, and The Ghost on Saturday Night by Sid Fleischman
· Movies – grew up watching original Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies and like anything with adventure
· Puzzles including brain teasers, mazes, and jigsaw puzzles
· Spending time with family is my favorite thing to do – mom, sisters, brother-in-law, and niece and nephews.
Des Moines Area Communtiy College and Iowa State University GO CYCLONES!!!!
I have been teaching ELL with DMPS since 2009
I have a husband and two children. My family loves animals. We have two mini pigs, a rabbit, and fish. We love hockey, traveling, movies, being outside, and anything where we are spending time with family.
- University of Northern Iowa (BA Early Childhood/ Elementary Education Early Childhood Special Education Reading Endorsement)
- Before staying at home with my children, I taught Kindergarten at St. Joseph Elementary for 8 years. I was a substitute for Des Moines, Southeast Polk and Bondurant. I was hired by Des Moines in 2016 as the Reading/ Math K-3 Interventionist at Howe. This year I will be staying at Howe as a second grade teacher.
- When I’m not at school, I enjoy spending time with my large family. My husband and I have been married now for 17 years. We stay very busy attending our kids activities! They are involved in soccer, wrestling and dance and we love supporting them! When we are not busy with kid activities, I enjoy going photography, camping, cooking, swimming, new adventures, bike riding, trying new restaurants, reading and traveling.
- Upper Iowa University (BA Elementary Education/Reading and English-Language Arts)
- Upper Iowa University (Master in Education with an ESL emphasis)
- I have been with DMPS since 2012. I was a substitute teacher and did long-term subbing at the Downtown School and Howe. I began teaching at Howe in 2013.
- When I’m not at school, I enjoy going for bike rides, swimming, boating, reading and cooking. In November 2015 I welcomed twins, Hadley and Hendrick. I love spending time reading to them, cuddling and watching them grow!
- Iowa State University (BS)
- Viterbo University (MA)
- After teaching at Pleasantville Elementary, I began teaching for Des Moines Public Schools at Mann, Watrous, Morris and River Woods Elementary Schools. I have taught all grade levels between third and eighth as well as Title math and reading support.
- My husband and I enjoy spending time with our family. We spend many evenings walking and working out. Reading is always a fun pastime.
- Northwest Missouri State (BS)
- Viterbo University (Masters)
- I have been with the district for 31 years.
- I have been married for 31 years. My husband’s name is Kendall and we have five children: Austin, Kelsey, Ross, JT, and Jazmine. When I am not at school, I enjoy attending book clubs with my friends.
University of Northern Iowa – Physical Education and Health Education
This is my first year teaching in the Des Moines area!
Hobbies: When I am not at school I enjoy spending time with family and friends. I also like to play/watch sports, do anything that involves being outside, and cheering on the Iowa Hawkeyes.
- Simpson College
- Cedar Rapids Washington High School
- Buena Vista University- Master’s in Education
- I have been with DMPS since 2007.
- I have 3 children, Nic, Kelsey, and Michael. I love to travel to warm, sunny beaches and I love to spend time at swimming pools! I also enjoy reading, exercising, and spending lots of time with my family!
- Iowa State University (BS in Child, Parent, Community Service)
- Upper Iowa University (BA in Elementary Education, Early Childhood and Reading Endorsement)
- Viterbo University (Masters in Education)
- I started with DMPS in the fall of 2002. I have taught preschool and kindergarten for the district
- This will be my second year as a reading and math interventionist.
- Paul and I have three daughters, Bailey, Morgan and Emma.
- I enjoy spending time with my family, traveling and being outdoors- hiking, biking, swimming, or kayaking.
- My favorite place to be is the warm, sunny beach.
- Upper Iowa University (BA)
- I started with DMPS in the fall of 2011. Prior to teaching, I worked at Principal Financial Group.
- I have taught fourth grade for 7 years at Howe. I currently am teaching fifth grade. Prior to teaching, I volunteered at Howe for two years.
- I love yoga, biking, reading, and spending time with my family. Rich and I have two sons and 1 daughter: Jacob, Austin and Abby. We became grandparents in 2018!
- Grandview University (BA in Human Services)
- I have worked for DMPS since 2011.
- My husband and I have a daughter who is 15 years old. My time spent is at the football games watching my daughter cheer, or watching her at competition dance. I have two fur babies that I love dearly!
I have worked for our district for 14 years. I am bilingual in English/Spanish. I love my job experiences that I’ve had in 14 schools. Howe Elementary is my favorite, we’re all best friends.
I’ve been married for 31 years and have three kids: two boys and a girl. My daughter is a registered nurse. My oldest son is majoring in Animal Sciences. Our youngest son is a diesel mechanic. I have 7 grandkids: three girls and four boys. I have an amazing wife.
- Northwest Missouri State University (BS in Elementary Education)
- University of Northern Iowa (MA in Middle Level Education)
- Drake University (MS in School Counseling)
- I began working at DMPS in 2017.
- When I have free time, I enjoy hanging out with my family, camping, and reading. My husband Kevin and I have 2 children; our son, Brendan and daughter, Ella.
- Drake University, Des Moines Iowa
- Upper Iowa University (BA Elementary Education, Reading and Language Arts Endorsements)
I have been with DMPS since 2013, supporting students at Walnut Street Elementary School and Goodrell Middle School. I began teaching at Howe Elementary January 2017. I have taught 4th and 2nd grade at Howe.
I enjoy spending time with my four children and husband. I also enjoy playing tennis and a member of several USTA teams in the Des Moines area. Other hobbies include bike riding, swimming, and walking my two dogs!